Monday, November 29, 2010

Everything looks better in gold and green...

Ah...despite a delightfully warm and mild week-long honeymoon in Savannah, the weather seems to have officially turned. The soft, mellow, mild autumn that I was enjoying so much has given way to a crisp cold wind and dreary grey skies.

Kevin and I put up the Christmas tree yesterday! It's Mr. and Mrs. Kevin Kinnett's first Christmas, so it was extra nice to put on some holiday tunes yesterday afternoon, make a quick emergency super-glue run to CVS (to patch a minuscule hole in the tree stand that distributed an alarming amount of water all over the floor in record time). I think the end result looks adorable, and I find myself sitting on the couch just staring at all the pretty gold ornaments and the little mirrored star at the top of the tree...

I'm feeling a little nibble from the baking bug lately - despite a massive amount of Thanksgiving baking (pumpkin spice cake with honey cream cheese frosting, little butter pecan tarts with fresh cinnamon maple whipped cream, and one DELICIOUS sweet potato pecan pie). I think the next thing to check off my culinary bucket list will be finding and experimenting with a nice gingerbread cookie recipe. I want to make little gingerbread cookies with my fluted biscuit cutters, and I am dreaming up an interesting orange cream frosting (I think those flavors would go nicely with gingerbread...) that I could use to sandwich two of the cookies together.

Mostly, though, I'm just looking forward to a nice quiet Georgia Christmas - cold and fresh outside, whether it snows or not, but plenty of cozy evenings with my husband wrapped up in a blanket on the couch, alternating watching Christmas movies, and gazing at our tree. I'm loving this time we're enjoying together, just relaxing, and getting our little 'nest' set up just the way we want it, and learning more about each other every day.

It's beginning to look a LOT like Christmas....

No comments:

Post a Comment