Sunday, January 6, 2013

Kale-laluia

Okay.

I love kale.

I should say that I've had kale before. Mostly kale chips, or a few handfuls of kale in a smoothie. Never have I had fresh kale before, until today.

We slept in a little this morning. Bed just felt REALLY good. Once we got up, we were pretty hungry. Kevin wanted bacon and coffee for breakfast - such a manly meal! I decided on something a little more....clean.


This is usually what my kitchen looks like when I'm cooking. Laptop on counter, ingredients scattered all over the place. This morning's recipe was adapted from one Tracey put together over at Shutterbean

It's pretty simple. I just took half a bunch of kale, removed the hard parts of the stems, and tore up the leafy bits and washed them. 

Then for the dressing: 

- 1 clove of garlic, minced (okay...maybe a little more than a clove....I like garlic)
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper flakes
- pinch of salt and pepper 



I finished up by adding the juice from half a lemon, and about 1/4 cup of pecorino romano cheese. Once I mixed the dressing in with the kale, I let it sit for about 5 minutes. I took it as an opportunity to make a little fresh juice by just throwing two carrots, two peeled grapefruits, and a peeled orange into the juicer with a little knob of fresh ginger. 

Let's just say this recipe is a winner! It's sort of like a caesar salad, but more savory. The kale is so delicious and hearty, and I could just about eat the dressing by itself. Try it, I know you'll love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment