Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Easy Summer "Everything" Dressing

OK so I was browsing Pinterest over the weekend, looking for something fun to whip up in the kitchen. I'm trying to get us back to eating healthy, low-carb meals that are well planned out in advance. So when I saw a recipe for a cilantro lime salad dressing, I knew I had to try it. Now I haven't always been a big fan of cilantro. There was a while during my teenage years that cilantro made my skin itch. I'm really glad I got over that, because this dressing is SO tasty and so easy! I made a good-sized mason jar worth of dressing last night, and I'm hoping it lasts a whole week of salads at lunch time. Last night I grabbed a big bowl, tossed in two hand-fulls of lettuce, half a chopped up cucumber, a whole cubed avocado,  and six or seven halved cherry tomatoes, all drizzled with a little of this dressing. It was so good. I had actually made bacon wrapped scallops for dinner, and ended up tossing most of mine onto Kevin's plate so I could save room for more salad. I threw together the same salad for lunch today, but added some bacon chunks that I cooked last night, along with some sweet corn and a little bit of crumbled feta cheese. I was going to take a hipster-Instagram-type picture of my lunch salad, but I gobbled it up before I remembered to pull out my phone. YUM. Avocado and bacon might be the most underrated couple in the food world. Here's the recipe - it's really quick to put together, and I suspect it would also be good on grilled chicken, brushed on grilled corn instead of butter, or even drizzled over baked fish (which I will be trying tonight):

1 small single-serving container of plain Chobani Greek yogurt
1 or two tablespoons of lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 big bunch of cilantro, with most of the stems chopped off
1 teaspoon of salt (sea salt if you're feeling fancy)
1/3-1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil

Toss everything except the olive oil in a blender, or in a tall container if you're planning on using a hand blender (which I did, and it was so much easier than hauling out the big blender). Blend together all the ingredients, but save the olive oil for last. Add the olive oil as needed to loosen the dressing so it's spoon-able or pour-able. Use within a week.

I'm actually in the middle of reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, and know for a fact that he would turn up his coke-sniffing nose at me for using that minced garlic that comes in a jar. Sorry, Anthony. I feel like he'd enjoy the dressing though. Try it for yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment