Friday, January 3, 2014

January Cure

Hey y'all!

It's January. It's 2014. Mindblowing.

It has been a LONG time since I've posted, because the holidays were just so busy (also I was feeling sort of lazy...so....). Here are 10 fun things about my Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's:

10) On Thanksgiving morning, Kevin and I ran our first 5k! It was pretty exciting, and INCREDIBLY cold. It was the coldest Thanksgiving on record in the Atlanta area in 100 years, but we warmed up pretty quickly once we started running. I was pretty pleased with my sub-40-minute 5k!
9) I ate a lot of stuffing on Thanksgiving day. Kevin's mom makes really really good stuffing, and that was one of the first (of quite a few) non-paleo things I ate between Thanksgiving and New Year's.
8) I got the coziest pair of pajamas for Christmas, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to wear real work clothes come Monday when I go back to work.
7) Kevin surprised me Christmas morning with the most gorgeous 1920's locket. It's fairly large (about the size of a silver dollar) and has a beautiful sort of sculptural design on the front of two ladies with their hair pinned up. It's got little diamonds and sapphires inlaid into the design, and I'm obsessed with it. I can't wait to find the perfect gold chain so I can start wearing it!
6) Now that the new year is here, I'm back on strict paleo! I'm somewhere in the midst of ketosis right now, so I'm feeling less than stellar, but I know I'll come out on the other side in a few days feeling like a champion and getting that much closer to my weight loss goal!
5) Kevin and I rented a cabin up near Lake Burton from Boxing Day till December 30th, and it was total bliss. The cabin had two fireplaces, a hot tub outside, a giant jacuzzi bathtub inside, and I can't believe I left willingly. Four days cozied up by the fire reading was just what I needed to unplug from the crazyness of life! On the downside, I managed to do some pretty decent damage to my finger when I cut a chunk off of it with a kitchen knife, but I did think at the last minute to bring peroxide and a first aid kit, so that was good.
4) I made brownies for the last day of work before Christmas. They were topped with Heath bar chips, mini-marshmallows, melted caramel squares, and chocolate chips. They were not paleo. I ate two, and felt terrible later.
3) New Year's eve was delightfully low-key. After getting back from the cabin, Kevin and I cozied up on the couch for New Year's. We started off by watching Inglorious Basterds (one of our all time favorites) and then watched a few episodes of Adventure Time before watching the ball drop with a bottle of champange.
2) We sold Kevin's condo! Hooray! We had been renting it out since we got married, and finally put it on the market and sold it. We are SO excited!
1) I'm ready for 2014!

All of that being said, I'm super excited for what's next: I've decided to participate in the January Cure with Apartment Therapy! It's sort of a fun plan you follow to get your house ready for the new year. Today I've been giving myself a bit of a head start, but doing a pretty good deep clean of the kitchen. Yesterday I spent most of the day in the walk-in closet in our bedroom, and succeeded in cleaning it all out, vacuuming it, and organizing our clothes better. Next up on our list is finishing the kitchen (yikes!), which will involve installing the remainder of the crown molding, and the toe-kick pieces. Also on deck is cleaning out the closet in the office. Weirdly, I find myself cleaning that closet out several times a year, but I never actually go in there for anything, leading me to think that maybe I should just trash/donate most of the stuff in there, and free up the real estate for more pressing needs.

As for New Year's resolutions? I've pretty much decided I don't believe in them. I always get grandiose ideas of the great things I'll do, and then promptly fall off the rails and feel terrible. Ultimately, I want to continue some of the things I've been working on since last year: read more, eat clean, simplify, and be kind to myself and others. Just four things, but I feel like sticking with a mantra is better for me than trying to tackle specific resolutions.

How's your January shaping up?

No comments:

Post a Comment