Friday, February 14, 2014

Snow Days & Soup

Dear Polar Vortex,

Enough, mmkay? We're good. We get it. Snow, slush, ice. This is Atlanta, you know? We really aren't set up for this. We're set up for record high temperatures that we can escape by ducking into the nearest air-conditioned Chipotle for a spicy burrito bowl. 

Thanks, 

Diana

So Kevin and I have been home since Monday night, bracing ourselves for a few long days of snow and ice and possible power outages. Kevin works from home regularly, but as an Office Manager, my work is mostly location-oriented (like...the office) so there's not a whole lot I can do from home. As a homebody seeing friends and family complain of cabin fever on Facebook, I had to laugh a bit. I love being at home. Now don't get me wrong, I do need some human interaction from time to time, but three days? Cake walk. 

I spent most of my snow-week cooking, cleaning, organizing, and working on some personal projects that I've been trying to get around to for a while. Since the weather outside was so chilly, soup was definitely on the menu. With a fridge full of zucchini (I love zucchini - raw, grilled, sauteed - it's all good), I turned to one of my Paleo fairy godmothers, Melissa Joulwan, for her recipe for Silky Gingered Zucchini soup, and it was so good. And even better than that? It was so quick and so easy to put together. I had all the ingredients on hand already, and you probably do, too (assuming you have zucchini in the fridge!). Here's the recipe!


Nice big bowl of zucchini soup - I tossed in some leftover spicy Moorish meatballs to make the soup more of a meal, but it's equally good by itself!

Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon (mild) to 1 teaspoon (hotter) powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (if you’re not on AIP)
4 medium zucchini, about 2 pounds, chopped*
4 cups high-quality chicken broth

Directions:
1. Heat coconut oil in a large soup pot on medium heat, 2 minutes. Add onions, then smash garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife or the bottom of a glass and add to pan. Stir often and cook until the onions and garlic are soft and golden, but not browned, about 7 minutes. Add salt, ginger, and black pepper; stir to combine.
2. Toss the zucchini into the pot. Stir to coat the zucchini with fat, then cook ’til beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth, bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Let the zucchini cook 45 to 60 minutes until it’s very soft.
4. VERY carefully, purée the zucchini and broth in a blender or food processor, or with an immersion blender. If you’re using a blender, work in batches, filling the canister only halfway and holding a towel over the lid while you purée. Eat immediately, or store in a covered container in the fridge.
Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment