Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pretty Paleo

You know what? I love coconut oil. When used in cooking it just makes things taste so heavenly and silky. Know what's just as awesome? Using coconut oil for skin-care. 


Don't get me wrong, I've got Olay, Clinique, and other similar items in my bathroom cabinet, but they've started to collect dust since I started using coconut oil. Today I'm going to share my 'recipe' for lavender coconut lotion. The fun part? This lotion does way more than just regular lotion. It also works great as a substitute for shaving cream, and is a fantastic natural makeup remover. I used to buy these sort-of-expensive little pouches of pre-moistened makeup-remover towelettes, which were convenient but full of ingredients and chemicals I didn't recognize. Now at the end of the day, I splash some water on my face, get a little raspberry-sized dollup of my fancy coconut lavender lotion, massage it in to my face (especially where I have applied eye makeup) and finish up by using a super-soft baby face-cloth to remove the excess along with the day's makeup. Ready for the 'recipe'?

1 cup of coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
4-8 drops of lavender essential oil (or other essential oil of your choice - I like rosemary oil too!)
1 mason jar or tupperware container

Mix together the coconut and essential oils, and pour the mixture into your jar or container. Let it sit for a minute. The mixture at room temperature will be a soft solid, or if you store it in a warmer spot, it may be more of a liquid. It's equally effective either way, and it's super inexpensive to make!


No comments:

Post a Comment