Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 31: The Menu

Hey everybody! As part of my second month of Whole30, I thought I'd do more posts that have to do with what I'm eating. I can't guarantee that I'll post every single day, but hopefully if you are curious about what you can eat on Whole30, it will give you a good idea. If you're already doing Whole30, maybe you'll just get some good recipes out of the deal!

Day 31 Breakfast: Asian meatballs and zucchini noodles

Remember last weekend? I made up a nice batch of Nom Nom Paleo's Asian Meatballs! They're great quick protein, so you'll probably be seeing a bunch of these little cuties in my meals for the next few days. The recipe is here. For the zucchini noodles, I just used my Kuhn Rikon peeler to turn a small zucchini into noodles. I tossed them in a pan on medium heat with a little bit of coconut oil, sautéed them quickly, and added about 1/3 teaspoon of coconut aminos. I tossed them in my handy little Eco Meal Kit with a handful of meatballs, and put a little bit of hot sauce on top. Once I got to work, I just microwaved the whole concoction, and dug right in!



Day 31 Lunch: Grilled chicken and watermelon pico de gallo

I love leftovers! I usually cook about 1/3 more for dinner than we can eat, and stash the rest in tupperware for lunch the next day! Last night we grilled a delicious whole chicken that Kevin brined in his special solution. Lunch today is one of the chicken breasts sliced up and topped with a little Trader Joe's "12 Seasoning Salute". The rest of my plate is watermelon pico de gallo and some coconut flakes. Yum!



Day 31 Dinner: Smashed steak skewers with cherry barbecue sauce

I was SO EXCITED ABOUT DINNER all day. I can't even tell you. I actually whipped up this barbecue sauce last night while the chicken was grilling, and I sort of wanted to just eat it by itself. Since I am doing Whole30, juice is pretty restricted, so I omitted the apple juice and added the same quantity of apple cider vinegar. The result is tangy sweet deliciousness. I just soaked some wooden skewers in water, carefully put the sliced flank steak on the skewers, and then had some fun smashing the skewered meat with my fancy new meat tenderizer. We grilled the tenderized meat, and after letting it sit for a minute, spread some of that delicious sauce over each one. MAN it was good. I served those bad boys up with some snap peas that I sautéed in ghee and topped with salt and pepper.



Before Whole30, I struggled more with snacking, especially at work or in the evening after dinner. Having kicked that habit, I still like to have a nice cup of hot tea after dinner. A hot cup of tea is just a great way to wind down at the end of a long and busy (and delicious) day...

That was it! Whole30 day 31 was pretty tasty, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment