Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Treat yo' self!

Everyone treats themselves once in a while. Some people go out and buy a cute new dress. Some people fill up the bathtub to the brim with hot hot water and bubbles and soak for a while. Before my Whole30, I was the kind of person who treated themselves to food. A pint of Ben & Jerry's after a long week. A box of Cheez-its. A couple of pieces of Ghirardelli chocolate squares with the gooey caramel in the middle. Don't get me wrong, it's not that those things don't sound good to me anymore, but my Whole30 has completely changed my view on food, to the point that (I hope) it would take a serious blow to the head for me to go back to my old eating ways for more than just the rare special occasion.

But I am still the sort of person who believes in treating myself a little. Since the beginning of my Whole30, I've been working really hard on sticking to the program, and using the extra energy that I've gained to push myself in ways I haven't done in a long time. From big things like working out at least once a day, to little things like taking the stairs to the 4th floor kitchen in the building I work in to fill up my water bottle a couple times a day, I've been making some good changes. Kevin and I actually decided over the weekend that we're going to keep doing our walk/run in the morning before we get ready for work, and add a MaxT3 workout in the evening as well.

So this weekend, I treated myself a bit. Not with chocolate or Cheez-its, but in a much different way. I took myself for a much-needed hair cut at the local Beauty College - a hard deal to beat at $5. I treated myself by raiding the super-clearance rack at Sports Authority and scored a cute and comfortable pair of running shorts, and a super-breathable workout t-shirt. Kevin and I went shoe-shopping, and I picked up a great pair of minimalist running shoes that I'm excited to use for my morning runs in conjunction with a set of compression sleeves that I'm hoping will help combat my shin splints and help me recover faster from my runs.

What did you do to treat yourself this weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment