Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The dog days may be over, but the snow days sure aren't....

It SNOWED two nights ago. It snowed 5 INCHES two nights ago. Of course, if I lived in, say, Vermont, nobody would blink an eye, and nobody would care, and everybody would cheerfully hop into their four-wheel-drive vehicles and take to the freshly ploughed ano d salted roads. But here? In Atlanta? I've heard several people call it Snowmageddon. Snowmageddon is how they describe 5 inches of snow. And the whole city shuts down, but only after everybody descends on grocery stores and WalMarts citywide cleaning the places out of bread, milk, eggs, beer, and toilet paper. 

Anyway, I can sort of see why. As a Canadian girl, I'm used to snow falling, and the plough guys hopping out there cleaning everything up (even side streets) within a few hours or so. But here they have no such infrastructure in place here to take care of that. Our street is basically a frozen pond at this point, and I feel like getting into my car and driving would be like grown-up bumper cars. Having said that, it's only half an hour away from the time I call into work to see if they're opening the office today. Part of me realizes there's probably a lot to be done. Another part of me doesn't want to white-knuckle it all the way to work, and would prefer to sit at home in my strawberry pajamas making chocolate cupcakes and finishing the sorting out of my studio. Yesterday was nice - Kevin couldn't get to work either, so he took the day off and we hung out at home cleaning up from Christmas, and watching half a dozen episodes of Psych with large bowls of popcorn and some Newton's Folly apple cider.

Hopefully if they do open the office, I won't have a repeat of last year, which involved me attempting to drive to work, and sliding right through a stop sign and landing my car in a small ditch. 

ANYWAY, you're bored of hearing about my snow-day. Want to hear what I've been up to in the kitchen lately? Of course you do....

My cousin Rachel tweeted a picture of a cake last week, and made the statement that it was the best frosting she'd EVER HAD. I had to have the recipe. I made the cake that night, and here are pictures for your visual enjoyment. It really is the BEST frosting ever. Only mistake I made was being in a teensy bit of a hurry, and not letting my butter get to room temperature, but I will do that next time, and it will be ECSTASY. 
Frosting....mid-mix....

+ Yellow butter bundt cake....
 + Best frosting EVARRRR sprinkled with a little white decorating sugar.....
= YUM.

Time to call and see if I need to go into work.....blurg......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment