Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It's a good day...

Have I been in a bit of a funk lately? Yes. My husband should be WAY tired of me by now, but he's got the patience of a saint, and just keeps talking me through everything, and encouraging me like crazy. I'm super lucky. As I write this, I'm sitting on our newly power-washed back deck on an adirondack chair sipping club soda with a squeeze of orange, and it tastes like SUMMER. I'm also admiring all the planting I did on Saturday. I've got big pots of flowers right next to me, and it smells divine - big fat glorious marigolds (they just seem like such a humble flower), a pretty little cluster of purslane, some feiry red salvia, some deep deep purple petunias, hot pink geraniums (which remind me of my mom - I think I remember her planting lots of geraniums and impatiens back in our garden on Rebecca Street), and a big cluster of lavender that I absolutely cannot WAIT to get bigger. Oh, I almost forgot, I also have a little potted zucchini plant, but that is soon to be transplanted into our veggie garden. What veggie garden, you ask? The one Kevin built on Sunday. Well, he would say that we both built it, but it was really him. I mostly just watched and brought him cold drinks and chilled towels from the freezer.

We had a huge area in our back yard right next to the deck that desperately needed attention. It was just eroded, and muddy, and it was impossible to get on and off the deck without getting covered in red Georgia clay. On Sunday, he decided enough was enough. A few trips to Lowe's, and a couple hundred dollars later, we (let's be real - HE) had a 2 1/2 foot retaining wall that we filled to the brim with good healthy moist garden soil, and hopefully by the end of the week, our zucchini plants will be cozy in there next to some cucumber plants, tomato plants, a big fat collection of herbs (basil, rosemary, mint) and some MORE lavender! I can hardly wait to plant them and watch them grow. I've heard zucchini is very easy to grow, and it produces a bonkers amount of zucchini. I may write a post in the next few months begging people to come by and please, please, PLEASE take some zucchini. We'll see.

Lately I've really been missing my family back in Canada. Some days I just wish I could swing by my Nana and Papa's house for a cup of tea (and to sneak my Papa a fresh made shortbread cookie). I wish I could just meet my Aunt Dori and Uncle Steve at August 8 for a full belly of delicious sushi. I wish I could just sit in the backyard with my Auntie Sheryl and talk about life and smell the fresh earthy smells of her garden while Chester rolls around in the grass in the background. I wish I could just have a cup of tea and a slice of bread with butter and jam with her. I wish I could see my Grandma and Grandpa all the time, just to listen to her tell stories, and tease him about how he misbehaves. I wish I could hang out with my cousin Rachel and her two (oh my gosh she has TWO) kids, and eat some of her fresh made bread and talk about life. I wish we could spontaneously meet my cousin Jon and his wife Jordan for a random date at this amazing Poutine place that keeps entering my dreams at night. I think I tend to miss Jon this time of year. Since we were born the exact same day (8 hours apart), it doesn't feel quite right to celebrate my birthday without him.

It just feels strange to be feeling this nostalgic and a little homesick. I'm usually not like this, you know.

Time to enjoy Tina Fey's "Bossypants" for the 6th time. The book just gets more hilarious every time you read it, I swear.

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment