Tuesday, August 14, 2012

It's beginning to look a lot like...August...

I know this is premature. Trust me, I know half of you out there are thinking "is she crazy? a post about Christmas?". It's not even labor day. Seriously.

I just LOVE the whole Christmas season...it gets chilly outside, and the cold air makes everything quiet. We cuddle up inside and watch "It's A Wonderful Life" with a cool glass of eggnog sprinkled with nutmeg. I enjoy a couple of weeks off work, during which I bake an obscene amount of ginger cookies, sit around the house in cozy clothes staring at the Christmas tree and listening to the "Christmas Time Is Here" song from the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. Am I the only person who gets weirdly emotional listening to that song? Maybe it's the fact that it's in a minor key or something, but it gets me every time.

Last year, Kevin and I went out on our annual Christmas Tree trip to Home Depot, and he lovingly and patiently pulled out dozens of trees and "fluffed them" so I could determine if they were good enough or not. We went home, and put up the tree while watching Elf, and enjoyed the scent of the pine tree filling up the living room while Ruby watched from her bed, happily squeaking her stuffed blue dog. I can't wait to do this again this year...

I love how quiet and cozy the season feels...the peace of Christmas morning, sitting together in the morning and sipping coffee with cinnamon, waiting for my parents to arrive with a big plate of my mom's delicious raisin scones. Waiting with anticipation when I step outside and I can just smell the potential for snow in the air.

So I'm excited for Christmas, even if it is just August...


No comments:

Post a Comment