Thursday, February 16, 2012

Aaah.....

I didn't realize until late this afternoon why I've been in such a grumpy rain-cloud-over-my-head-all-day mood. Seriously. I'm not usually like this. I'm usually pretty sunny and cheery.

So the reason for the mood?

EVERYBODY IS GONE. Out of our 12 staff members, 7 are at a conference for the rest of the week. Let's just say the environment around here on a normal day is humming with people coming in and out, stopping by my office to say hi, ask me a question, or write something funny/weird on my window with dry-erase markers. RA's coming in and singing loudly, the phone ringing off the hook.

It was just TOO QUIET. Way too quiet. It was almost deafening. I was actually glad when the student assistant at the front desk started playing a Pandora station on low. The silver lining is that I managed to get an absolutely massive amount of work completed today. Seriously. Bad news is that I get super anxious when I approach the end of my to-do list. What will I do next? This situation usually results in me completely re-arranging the already-pretty-organized supply closet, or trying to clean up the conference room. I'm pretty sure small elves come in the middle of the night and mess up the conference room just to irk me. Yeah. That happens.

I'm not sure whether it's a byproduct of my mood or not, but I was having serious carb cravings today. Like in the cartoons when someone is so hungry that everyone resembles a dancing turkey leg, except for me they're a giant dancing plate of spaghetti and meatballs, with a giant loaf of the most deliciously crusty Italian bread smothered with garlic butter.

The truth is, though, I've been having so much success with the low-carb eating. Don't get me wrong, I miss carbs SO much. I'm having daydreams about dancing pasta, for pity's sake! But I've lost 10 of the 30 pounds that I am trying to lose by April, so I'm trying to be good to myself and stay on the wagon. And I'm seeing results, which somehow is making me want to eat that pasta even MORE because I can ALMOST justify it to myself. Almost. The thought of going into the kitchen and making a small bowl of spaghetti with artichoke pesto and Parmesan cheese is overwhelming me.

Last night was a triumph of low-carb eating! Hooray! I had some special chipotle salsa I brought back from Canada, and I brushed some of it onto a nice piece of salmon that Kevin brought home. I wasn't feeling super ambitious, so we just ate it by itself with a couple tablespoons of guacamole that I had in the fridge. Perfection.

Gotta stay on the wagon....

No comments:

Post a Comment