Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Beyond The Pale...

I should start by saying that while I do enjoy Jim Gaffigan's stand-up Beyond The Pale, that's not what this is about. This is about skin, people. Take care of your skin!

I've always been very fair-skinned, and I sustained a few bad sunburns as a kid. I was probably 12 or 13 when my Nana took me to the Clinique counter for the first time, and bought me my first skincare products. Was I a little young for it? Maybe. But I'm so thankful that she did that! I'll never forget the crisp clean smell of the yellow Clinique bar soap, all nestled in its little green container. Or the sharp smell of the cleansers and toners in the tall sleek bottles. I remember the nice lady helping us at the Clinique counter telling me "you have such pretty pale skin, you have to take good care of it and make sure it's healthy".

I really took that to heart. I had seen people at the beach slathering oil all over their bronzed skin and just soaking up the rays, and I knew that wasn't for me. It didn't take me very long to realize that I just didn't have that kind of skin. I had the type of skin that you covered up, and applied generous amounts of gentle sunblock to. I'm an SPF 80 kind of girl. I started using Olay SPF 30 anti-aging cream when I was 15. I'm not messin' around here, folks.

So I thought I'd share a little about my skin care regimen, for those of you who are looking to give your skin a little TLC!
  1. Cleanse! I can't say this enough. Leaving your makeup on when you go to bed isn't good. I'm not always a good follower of this rule, but it's important! Your skin needs to breathe while you rest. I'm a big fan of baby wipes to remove makeup (I buy the Target UP&UP brand, and they work great.) and the good ole fashioned yellow bar of Clinique soap.  
  2. Oil can be good! I promise. If you have oily skin, it might be a little trickier to find the perfect balance, but it's a lifesaver for me! In the winter, the cranking furnace just makes me feel like a raisin. On days like that, I like to squeeze a little Jojoba Oil onto a cotton ball and just gently swipe it onto my dry areas before bed. I usually sleep with an old towel over my pillowcase so I don't get my pillow all oily. That's bad news.


  3. Tea Tree Oil! I buy these amazing little Tea Tree Oil cleansing discs at Trader Joe's (I also get my Jojoba there). They're small, but packed with TTO, and they feel REALLY good when you use them as a follow up to your morning face wash. I feel like the texture of the discs really smooths out my skin, and handles any redness or splotchy areas.


  4. SUNSCREEN. I use sunscreen EVERY day. I typically use a really great Neutrogena  SPF15 version for everyday, and I apply it to my face right before my makeup. I also use a generous amount on my neck, chest, and on the backs of my hands. Basically any area where you see an older woman get age spots. If I'm headed out somewhere in the summer where I know I'll be in the sun, I'll put on a good layer of  SPF 80, and bring the bottle with me for later applications. I'm way too fair to take any chances with sunburns that could mean skin cancer later.


  5. Baking Soda? Yep! Baking soda! There's a big mason jar of it on my bathroom counter. It's super useful. If I'm feeling like I have rough patches on my skin, I just mix a paste of about 3 parts baking soda and 1 part warm water (just enough that you can use it like a scrub). Just be careful that you don't scrub TOO hard - you just need to rub it in gentle circles, and the baking soda will do the rest. I always feel like my skin GLOWS after I use it. You can also sprinkle some on top of the toothpaste on your toothbrush for a whitening boost while you brush, and use it as a gentle cleaner for the sink if it's looking a little gross. Very multi-purpose!


  6. Sunglasses! They're not just to look cool. I'm always very conscious that going outside (even when it's not super sunny out) tends to make me squint a little from the brightness. I almost always have one or two pairs of sunglasses in my purse, just in case. No need to get those crinkly eye wrinkles before it's time. 
  7. Humidifier! It's the middle of winter, it's cold and windy outside, and inside it's all dry and warm. Not ideal for your skin. We have a great humidifier that I keep on low most nights while we sleep. I feel like I get less problem areas when there's a good level of humidity in the house.
 Take care of your skin. Love it. Put nice things on it, and it will look good until you're old :)

No comments:

Post a Comment