Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sick day....

I'm convinced that even though today is about the same temperature as yesterday, it feels about a jillion times more cold. Here are some things that I would like to be doing today:

  • taking a hot bubble bath with a cup of tea while catching up on a few podcasts
  • baking a big batch of Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies
  • catching up on my laundry (you know it's time when you have more clothes that are dirty than clothes that are clean)
  • sitting on the couch with my Kev sipping a Newton's Folly, and watching snow fall outside
In true keeping with the start of the winter-ish season (come on, I'm from Canada, it's cold outside, but it's not CANADA cold outside...) I was sick yesterday. I was actually sick-ish starting on Tuesday night, but I decided to tough it out and go to work yesterday since one of my other coworkers was out with the flu, and I cover his stuff while he's out. Bad idea. Shoulda stayed home. Ended up going home around 3, and got all snuggled up in bed in my PJ's and watched the latest episode of Glee.

Did I ever mention before that I like this show? I know the storyline is insane and slightly convoluded at times, but it's darned entertaining. Yesterday the Christmas episode was on, and it was delightful. Not really Kev's thing, so I try to watch it when he's not home....



By the way, I feel like it's very important for me to let the world know that I've reconciled with Martha Stewart. For many years, I downright resented her ability to spend a quiet afternoon painting stencilled flowers on her garden trellace, and then iron her bedsheets (who does that??) and give her Chow-Chow a doggie shiatsu massage (seriously?), all while waiting for her rosemary persimmon bread to rise for the holiday party she's throwing that night. It took some time, but I finally discovered the root of my resentment. Cookie dough. She makes these amazing cookie recipes, and I LOVED trying them, but whenever it came to a roll-and-cut recipe (which I incidentally like the most), my dough would turn into an unmanageable ball of goo, to which I would add so much flour to make it workable that it would turn into a tough ball of cement that was basically worthless.

But no more.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm working with an amazing Kitchen-Aid stand mixer now. Maybe it's the fact that I pored over the Martha Stewart Christmas cookie special edition. Whatever it was, I've got my cookie mojo back, and I frankly couldn't be more excited about it. Ask Kevin...when my ginger snaps came out perfectly (seriously....they were perfect) I jumped around in my kitchen with glee. That, in turn, gave me the culinary confidence to tackle the peppermint meringues, which seemed daunting at first, but now they're one of the easiest recipes I've ever made. I'm making some lemon ones this weekend, I think. I'm excited about it.

So Martha and I are back together. You can send cards of heartfelt congratulations to my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment